Friday, March 27, 2009

Getting there... (by Hannah)

...is half the fun!

My flight was at 5:55 this morning, so I stayed with DBF who lives about 10 min from the airport. This still had me getting out of bed at 4am. I decided NOT to check in online, since I was checking a bag anyway. WHAT A MISTAKE. Apparently, AirTran Airlines' system was down and they were checking people in by hand. I didn't get a boarding pass, I got a hand written slip of paper that told me to go to gate 15. I totally jumped the line at security and when I got to my gate, didn't have a seat! Granted, neither did about 50 people. As a party of one I got on the plane pretty quick, and then was asked not once but twice if I would mind trading my not really assigned seat so that people could sit with their spouses. At this point all I could do was laugh, it's not like anybody knowns where I SHOULD be sitting! The best part of the system being down is that they had no way to CHARGE me the $15 baggage fee.

Slight delay out of Atlanta due to the weather, but my airplane karma came back to my side and I got a window exit seat with nobody in the middle seat next to me. I've now been paid back for that middle seat next to a fat guy I sat in two weeks ago...

Cheryl and I got in to San Antonio at about the same time. Of course, we got into separate terminals. Did you know that the San Antonio airport is under construction? I walked, basically, in the road and through a construction site to get to Cheryl. We then immediately walked back the same way to get to MammaT and her entourage. Many thanks to that fork lift driver that yielded to us.

We're in Austin, at the hotel, time to go find some people...Like Mia who lives 20 miles from me but I have to travel thousands of miles to actually SEE!

No comments: